This is it. A journey to circumnavigate the planet on bicycles (plus a couple planes & trains).
A dream come true, a once in a lifetime experience… this is what bucket lists are made of. One day of inspiration, two years of mental preparation, one year of saving, and six months of planning have led to this very post.
Displeased by the traditions of adulthood in modern society – holding down a 9-5 job, paying half our wages to rent, being confined to “two weeks” of vacation per year, and living in a vicious cycle of excessive work & pointless consumption – we decided to listen to the ever-curious voices inside our heads and set out on a quest to create a sustainable location independent lifestyle. Throughout the past year we’ve downsized our home, sold almost every Earthly possession, saved up a bunch of money, and have just recently said good-bye to our employers.
This is by far the greatest risk we’ve ever taken, leaving behind our steady jobs and our loving families to explore the world that we inhabit. No tour guides, no support vehicles, no set itineraries… just the two of us, on a couple of bicycles, with a few bags of gear and a one-way ticket departing from Los Angeles on Independence Day.
1. Wander off from our daily routine and develop a sustainable location-independent lifestyle
2. Gain an invaluable education from the people and places that we encounter
3. Provide tips & tricks that empower and inspire others to fulfill their dreams of long-term travel
As a resource for anyone looking to attempt a similar adventure, below are some additional details about our trip.
Overall Budget (Per Person):
– Trip (Food, Shelter, Entertainment, & Transportation for 14 months): $10,000
– Gear: $5,000
– Travel Insurance: $1,200
– Vaccinations: $1,200
– Bike Maintenance/Self Defense Classes: $80
– Website Domains, Templates, Hosting, and Business Cards: $450
– Loan/Debt Payments (for 14 months): ~$1,800
Total: $19,730 each
Average Daily Budget:
July 4, 2014 – September 4, 2015
Los Angeles, California
Estimated miles per cycling day:
Countries we plan to visit:
We know this is just the tip of the iceberg, so If you have any questions about our trip, feel free to drop us a line in the comments section below. We’ll try our hardest to get back to you in a timely manner.
For information on the types of gear we’ll be bringing on the trip, check out our gear section.
Thanks for reading, we’re delighted to have you along for the ride!